Computer Science 12
Tutorials about the World Wide Web
- Week 8: HTML
- Week 9: Wordpress
- Week 10: Wordpress categories and tags, as widgets
- Week 11: Structure of a typical modern website
Editing HTML files using TextEdit on a Mac:
HTML files are plain text files which must be edited in plain text mode. But TextEdit normally uses rich text format, not plain text. To make TextEdit use plain text format, see:
Editing HTML files using Windows Notepad:
- ThoughtCo.com: Writing HTML in Notepad
Note: Editing files in Windows Notepad can be done reliably only when filename extensions are visible. See the pages below on how to make filename extensions visible in Windows 10 and Windows 7.
Filename extensions in Windows 10:
- The Windows Club: How to show File Extensions in Windows 10/8/7
- File-Extensions.org: Show and hide file extensions in Windows 10
- Rick's Daily Tips: How to force Windows 10 to display file extensions in File Explorer
Filename extensions in Windows 7:
- Windows 7 Forums: How to Hide or Show Known File Type Extensions in Windows 7
Important warnings about Windows Notepad: Alas, recent versions of Notepad have the following bugs (at least on Windows 7):
- Notepad sometimes refuses to save a file when that same file is also highlighted in a folder Window. (It will sometimes pop up a box saying "This process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.") To get around this, move the highlight to a different file.
- Notepad sometimes does not save a file that has text highlighted within it. Most dangerously, the failure to save in this case is silent. Always make sure NO text in your file is highlighted before you save the file.
To avoid these bugs, you may wish to download and install another plain text editor Notepad++. However, if you're a Windows user, you should make sure you know how to use plain old Notepad too, because Notepad is available on every Windows machine.
Creating a Wordpress blog, and creating and editing posts:
- Notes on Wordpress. (The section titled Getting started on Wordpress was intended to be used with the blog assignment in Assignment 8.)
Customizing your blog's appearance:
- Notes on Wordpress. (The section titled Selecting a WordPress Theme is intended to be used with the blog assignment in Assignment 9.)
Making your blog easier for readers to navigate:
- Notes on Wordpress. (The section titled Tags and categories, as widgets is intended to be used with the blog assignment in Assignment 10.)
Structure of a typical modern website: